The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) are investigating the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) over the N12bn federal government intervention fund released for players’ wages and bonuses.
The disclosure was contained in a letter signed by Onoja Joshua, on behalf of the general secretary of the NFF, in response to a request for financial records and utilisation logs relating to the fund.
The letter, dated August 18, 2026, was addressed to the principal partner of Cromwell & Okeke, following a correspondence dated August 7, 2026, but received by the NFF on August 11.
The request, made under the Freedom of Information Act, sought access to financial records and other documents concerning the N12bn Federal Government intervention fund reportedly released to the NFF for players’ wages and bonuses.
However, the football federation said it could not release the requested records because the matter was already under investigation by the EFCC and ICPC.
In the letter, referenced NFF/LEG/10/1/879 and titled “Re: Application for disclosure of financial records and utilisation logs regarding the N12 billion federal government intervention fund released for players’ wages and bonuses,” the NFF said all documents relating to the request were with the two agencies.
The letter stated, “It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is the subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”
The NFF further stated, “Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”
The disclosure has raised fresh questions about the management and utilisation of the N12bn intervention fund, particularly because the money was specifically intended to address players’ wages and bonuses.
The NFF did not disclose the specific aspects of the fund’s utilisation that prompted the investigations, nor did it provide details of the allegations or transactions being examined by the anti-corruption agencies.
It also did not state when the investigations commenced, the individuals or officials whose activities may be under scrutiny, or whether any suspects had been invited or questioned.
Sources told SaharaReporters that the NFF said a major portion of the N12bn was spent on resolving hotel accommodation expenses for players at different levels of government.
In January 2024, it was reported that President Bola Tinubu had approved the payment of outstanding funds owed by the federal government to the Super Eagles and other national sporting teams.
According to a statement from Tinubu’s Media Centre, the payment covered 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to senior national team coaches, as well as allowances and other payments due to the senior men’s, women’s, and Under-20 national teams.
The statement said President Tinubu had “approved the payment of N12 billion outstanding backlog for Nigeria’s national teams of various sports, which includes the Super Eagles and others.”
It added that the payment covered senior national team coaches’ salaries running up to 15 months, as well as allowances and other outstanding payments due to the national teams.
The development comes amid wider concerns over the financing and administration of Nigerian football, particularly the management of public funds allocated to national teams and players.
Packaged by Lanre Olabisi







































































